Car Accident Information
What do I do if I was just in a car accident?
If you are reading this right after being involved in an car crash, you should never leave the scene until after the police have been to the accident scene. If you do leave, you could be facing criminal charges.
- Call 911 to report the accident. Your first step is to call an ambulance if someone has been injured.
- Ensure safety. If possible, try to avoid creating further damage for others by making sure your vehicle is not creating a hazard to other motorists by moving it from traffic.
- Do not admit fault! Never admit that the car crash was your fault. Liability is a legal conclusion that will be investigated later.
- File an Accident Report. Under New York Law you have an obligation to file your own report called an MV-104 with the DMV. You will want to consult with a lawyer to make sure that you are accurately portraying the accident how it actually happened.
- Gather Information. Collect the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses, or others involved in the accident and note any car license plates that you see.
- Photograph the scene if possible so that you can show vehicle damage, vehicle position, skid marks, road obstructions, and injuries. Only do this if it is safe! Nearly everyone has a camera on their phone nowadays. Use it.
If you are in Onondaga County, call the Snyder Law Firm for a free consultation at (315) 451-3040.